Join Milton Chiropractic & Bay State Physical Therapy as we celebrate the town of Milton’s 350th Anniversary Big Event weekend on June 8th, 9th, & 10th! Fireworks kick off the event on Friday night the 8th at 9pm, and then join them for the biggest parade in Milton’s history on Saturday the 9th at 2pm. Look for the High and Wild Monster Truck in the parade sponsored by Milton Chiropractic & Bay State Physical Therapy. Then head over to Milton High School’s Family Fun Day where the truck will be stationed for posing with pictures after the parade! For a full listing of events, visit www.milton350thanniversary.org! We hope to see you there!
Chiropractic works - and so can you! A study in the April 2011 issue of the Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine suggests that when it comes to work-related low back pain, the risk of disability recurrence is lower for people treated only by a chiropractor than patients treated only by a medical doctor.
Hurt your back at work? Call your chiropractor first. Call Milton Chiropractic & Rehabilitation.
Conservative care beats medication for neck pain according to the January 3, 2012 issue of the Annals of Internal Medicine. The article states that the six year study confirms conservative care of either spinal manipulation or home exercise is more effective than over-the-counter medication for acute and sub-acute neck pain. Spinal manipulative therapy (chiropractic adjustments) was more effective than medication in both the short term and the long term, as was the exercise regimen treatment at a slightly less but not statistically significant rate.
The take from this is such: a course of treatment for neck pain involving both chiropractic adjustments (manipulative therapy) and home exercises (actually doing them!) will yield the highest outcome....less pain and a quick return back to your daily activities!
......but in case it does, and this is New England so I can't imagine we will be lucky enough to escape Old Man Winter's grasp all season, there are some important tips on shovelling the white stuff available here as well as how to stay healthy in fun winter activities.
Thanks to the American Chiropractic Association for the info!
The American Chiropractic Association urges Americans to adopt the following 10 healthy New Years resolutions.
- I will limit my intake of caffeinated coffee, sodas and teas. The caffeine in these drinks can cause dehydration and can rob the body of essential nutrients. Stick to water, natural juices and other decaffeinated beverages.
- I will avoid over medicating myself and my family. Many over-the- counter and prescription medications have unknown side effects. Discuss alternative remedies with a doctor of chiropractic.
- I will not carry a heavy purse or briefcase with its strap over my shoulder, unless I place the strap over my head on the side opposite the bag. Wearing a shoulder strap over one shoulder unevenly places the weight of the bag on one side of the body, potentially causing shoulder and back pain.
- I will not allow my children to carry backpacks that weigh more than 15 percent of their body weight. Beyond that weight, the backpack can cause the wearer to bend forward in an attempt to support the weight on his or her back, instead of the shoulders.
- I will not lift heavy objects over my head. These types of movements can strain muscles and affect nerves, causing severe neck, shoulder and arm problems.
- I will not turn my torso while lifting relatively heavy objects. This rotates the spine and can bring on a "back attack."
- I will avoid the habit of consistently crossing the same knee over the other. Such a habit can also eventually cause misalignment of the spine.
- I will try to keep moving while I'm at work. If sedentary for the majority of the work day, it is very important to take periodic stretch breaks. Get up from the desk and take a brief walk, and stretch arms and legs as frequently as possible to avoid postural and spinal stress.
- I will, when using a shovel - in winter or summer - remember to push rather than lift, whenever possible.
- I will use luggage with wheels whenever possible. Carrying, lifting and moving a heavy suitcase can ruin a vacation.
Have a Healthy and Happy 2012!
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.