Posts for: May, 2020
Most people will inevitably experience back pain at some time in their lives, and in most cases, it’s short-lived and rarely indicates something serious. However, it is not always easy or possible to figure out why you have back pain.
Fortunately, here at Milton Chiropractic in Dorchester, Brockton, West Roxbury, Taunton, Attleboro, Weymouth, Somerset, Raynham, Kingston, Stoughton, Norwell, N. Dartmouth, and Quincy, MA, we are experts at diagnosing and treating back pain.
Why You Have Back Pain
Back pain is typically a result of the following:
- Ligament or Muscle Strain: Lifting and lugging around heavy things or twisting the back could quickly strain your spinal muscles and ligaments. Likewise, carrying excess weight could strain the back and cause pain.
- Arthritis: Osteoarthritis, which is the most prevalent arthritis type, usually causes lower back pain. This could result in spinal stenosis, in which the space surrounding your nerve roots or spinal cord becomes significantly narrower.
- Ruptured or Bulging Disks: The cushioning between your spinal bones, called disks, could rupture or bulge and impinge a nerve, causing pain.
Easing Your Back Pain
In general, you want to continue performing your daily tasks and some light stretching and exercises. However, if your activity worsens your pain, reassess your actions. Essentially, you should try to keep moving but make sure to listen to your body to avoid overdoing things. At work, especially if the bulk of your time is spent sitting or lifting/lugging around heavy stuff, make sure to take small breaks for stretching your back muscles in order to avoid overloading and straining them.
You can also try heat packs, cold packs, and OTC pain relievers like acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or paracetamol to alleviate your pain. However, if your pain worsens or doesn't become better after a few weeks of home treatments, you can come in for a consultation at one of our offices in Dorchester, Brockton, West Roxbury, Taunton, Attleboro, Weymouth, Somerset, Raynham, Kingston, Stoughton, Norwell, N. Dartmouth, or Quincy, MA, to determine what’s causing your back pain and obtain appropriate treatment for it.
When to Be Concerned About Back Pain
Schedule a visit to your chiropractor if your back pain:
- Follows a blow to the back, a fall, or another kind of injury
- Causes tingling, numbness, or weakness in both or just one leg
- Is intense or constant, particularly when lying down or at nighttime
- Occurs with unexpected and sudden weight loss
- Comes with redness or swelling, which could mean an infection
- Occurs with changes in bladder control or bowel movement
- Radiates down both or one leg, particularly if it extends below the knee
For Back Pain Relief, We Can Help
Reach out to us here at Milton Chiropractic & Rehabilitation and arrange an appointment with one of our chiropractors in Dorchester, Brockton, West Roxbury, Taunton, Attleboro, Weymouth, Somerset, Raynham, Kingston, Stoughton, Norwell, N. Dartmouth, or Quincy, MA.